Saturday, November 7, 2015

Vegetable cheese muffins

Ever since Pickles started solids, my adventures with cooking and baking have increased manifold. In my effort to make sure he gets all his nutrients, I try to bake healthy snacks for him myself. Usually, Saturdays are my bake-a-snack days. So, hopefully you'll see more experiments in the weeks to come Of course, I still have some successful experiments and some that have gone horribly wrong. But if Pickles likes them, I consider them pretty decent. And if he loves them but he cant have enough because R and I finished them off, then it is a super hit! 

This recipe falls in between the two categories. Pickles likes them but we can manage to keep our hands off. I try and use different vegetables every week and it works each time. I've used zucchini, mushrooms, baby corn, corn kernels, tomatoes and spinach in different combinations. 

Pardon the unflattering picture. I was too tired to get better pictures. 



This is what I used

Whole wheat flour - 1 cup
Self raising flour- 1 cup
Shredded/ grated veggies - 2 cups ( I used red bell peppers, carrots, peas and green onions)
Some spices: I used basil (as much or as little as you like)
Eggs- 2 nos
Grated cheddar cheese- 2 cups
Milk- 1.5 cups
Salt- to taste 

Here's how I made them.

1) Pre-heat the oven to 180 C.
2) Mix the sifted flours and all the veggies together in a bowl.
3) Add in the salt, spices and cheese.
4) Beat the eggs and mix in the milk in a separate bowl.
5) Add the liquid ingredients into the flour mixture slowly and fold them nicely together.
6) Grease some silicone muffin tins and pour the batter until two-thirds full.
7) Bake for 25 minutes or until a dipped toothpick comes out clean.
8) Cool on a cooling rack.
9) Now you can try them on your toddler.

Let me know how it goes. 

No comments: