Tuesday, April 26, 2016

V: Variety

While I honestly do believe that variety is good for most things, when it comes to food I'm not so sure. Don't get me wrong, I love trying all kinds of food. Just not in the same meal. Although I like to cook (a lot) and I tend to cook up a storm when I do, I believe that I can relish only one dish or maybe two dishes at once. That way, one can enjoy all the flavours and do justice to the ingredients and effort that go into making the dish. If you have too many dishes in a meal, one or two of them will definitely overpower the rest, although you may have totally enjoyed the other dishes if they were served by themselves at another point in time, when in the company of other winners, they simply lose out. That belief and of course the time at hand generally allows me to cook only a one-pot dish or if I'm feeling particularly adventurous, two dishes for dinner everyday.

R, on the other hand enjoys variety. While I prefer one dish on my plate, he likes to have a ton of stuff on it. While I prefer to order a la carte, he prefers to order a set meal or thali to make sure he can sample lots of dishes in one go. Also, for him the Friday dinner is probably what he enjoys most. You see, that is when we have a lot of leftovers in the fridge and since they are too little for one meal, they just get left behind. On Fridays, R empties out the fridge and has the variety that he craves for in one single meal. And hence, both of us are happy. I, because the refrigerator gets emptied and he, for his variety meal. And yet, that doesn't stop him from looking for pickle, paapad and chips to add to his already full plate!

No comments: