Thursday, June 30, 2011

Tongue in cheek


So, I came to work on the weekend to finish some experiments. The lab was generally deserted and only a colleague and I were working.

As I was working on my lab bench, I heard some noise. It sounded like someone was chanting something, saying something over and over. I looked up to see my colleague at the other bench muttering some gibberish. I first thought she was talking to someone. But no, she didn’t have a phone. I looked closely to see if she had a Bluetooth headset? (It happens all the time these days! You think someone is talking to themselves and you realize they are actually talking on their headsets). But clearly, she didn’t have a headset or anything like that.

She can’t be talking to herself for so long, I thought. It was more like she was having a conversation with herself. But I couldn’t make any sense out of what she was saying. Didn’t sound like anything English or even chinese. But she kept saying the same thing over and over.

I couldn’t take it anymore. I walked up to her and said casually, “ Hey what’s up? Are you chanting a mantra to work magic on your experiment? “
Hahaha, she laughed.
“Oh no, I was just practicing my Portugese. I just came back from my lesson. So, I’m learning how to say some phrases!!” 

No comments: